JOB FUNCTION: To create, manage and support development of the programs of Masyarakat dan Perikanan, Indonesia (MDPI) in sustainable fisheries and community development in Indonesia and the region.
The MDPI Program Director oversees all aspects of marine management, policy, science,and site-based implementation for the programs in Indonesia and the region. In close coordination with the the Executive Director and Operations Director, s/he serves as the principle contact for program issues with government agencies, other conservation organizations (local, national and international), public and private funders. The Program Director provides program leadership and is responsible for establishing overall implementation priorities, guiding and supporting the organizations fisheries and community planning work, including site selection planning, leading and managing various priority program teams, building strategic, scientific and technical capacity in the field and establishing MDPI as a major fisheries conservation and Small-scale advocate partner in the region. S/he is also responsible for developing key partnerships with public and private organizations to identify and resolve management and policy issues; negotiating complex and innovative solutions with government agencies to develop fisheries management solutions, always incorporating a strong emphasis on the development of the small-scale sector. S/he disseminates best practices, provides training and analyses to best implement organizational measures of success. Duties include:
The Program Director will be tasked with the following responsibilities:
- Define sustainable fishery priorities and build strategic, scientific and technical capacity in the field and amongst stakeholders;
- Develop innovative scientific methods, analyses, tools, and frameworks to address the needs of small-scale fisheries;
- Ensures that science-based tools, models and knowledge are leveraged and adopted by strategic stakeholders;
- Develop and implement cutting edge sustainable fisheries strategies which meet the needs of the small-scale fishery sector and meet regional approaches and major international export market requirements;
- Further develop and improve current systems which support improved management already in use and advocate for the adoption of these in national level fisheries management;
- Support and innovate in advocacy approaches to national fishery managers towards adoption of new and innovative approaches to fisheries management;
- Identify gaps in capacity development appropriate solutions for capacity development within all stakeholder sectors of the organizations programs;
- Lead and manages a large team which implements sustainable fisheries and community development programs.
- Ensure that all implemented activities are related to the mission and vision of the organisation
- Identify and develop appropriate interventions and methodologies for community engagement and capacity building linked to the overall MDPI strategies
- Undertake coordination and communication process and activities to implement capacity building trainings and workplans that are informed by community needs and interests
Industry and Government Relationships
- Establish corporate partnerships, both nationally and internationally, allowing the development of the MDPI core approach which uses market forces to strategically promote sustainable fisheries management;
- Develop key partnerships with public and private organizations in order to identify and resolve technical issues and to widely communicate solutions and best practices;
- Negotiate complex and innovative solutions with government agencies, major institutions, and industry to promote management priorities for the small-scale fisheries sector and their communities.
Robust Data Systems Development
- In close coordination with the individual program teams and stakeholders develop innovative systems and technology solutions which support fisheries management, capacity building and empowerment of the Small-scale sector;
- Promote and develop I-Fish and similar interoperable systems for data and management improvement ;
- Promote and develop I-Fish and similar interoperable systems for industry and supply chain engagement in improvement efforts and to create efficiencies in operations.
Strategic Development and Fund-raising
- Support the Executive Director in public and private fundraising proposals for the program implementation;
- With the Executive Director, identify suitable pathways for organizational development, emphasizing the small-scale sector;
- Engage local community and key influential support for local and regional sustainable fisheries efforts
- Support the Executive Director in the development and implementation of strategies for the cultivation and solicitation of fundraising prospects, including corporate, foundation, institutions, and/or individual donors;
- Work with Executive Director, technical and finance staff to strategically develop grant proposals ensuring quality control of proposals and reports, compliance with donor guidelines, MDPI strategic approaches and internal processes.
- With the project team leads, initiate the preparation and submission of annual activity-based project budgets to the Executive Director.
- BS degree in fisheries, marine resources management tropical coastal management and 5 years’ experience in related field or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Fundraising experience, including identifying donor prospects and donor cultivation;
- Experience designing, implementing, and directing complex or multiple projects of strategic importance, including managing finances, supervising multidisciplinary professionals and coordinating the work of partners while meeting deadlines;
- Experience in partnership development (partners, community, government, etc.); experience with high-level conservation/sustainable fisheries networks;
- Experience working with methods and standards of sustainable fisheries information systems and initiatives;
- Communicating clearly via written, spoken, and graphical means in English and other relevant languages;
- Politically savvy and experienced in partnership development (partners, community, government);
- Experience with report writing to various donor
- Supervisory experience, including motivating, leading, setting objectives and managing performance;
- Managing time and diverse activities under deadlines while delivering quality results;
- Demonstrated success as an inspirational manager who has successfully motivated staff to achieve and sustain excellence;
- Demonstrated leadership and visionary qualities and able to work effectively with and through others in a decentralized and geographically dispersed organization;
- Networking skills with high level sustainable seafood contacts internationally and nationally.
Please send your application via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org stating the position applied.
MDPI is committed to implementing free discrimination recruitment from the elements of SARA (Tribe, Religion, Race and Intergroup), supporting gender equality, anti-trafficking in persons and rejecting all forms of drug use and trafficking.