Informal Discussion to Celebrate National Fishermen’s Day
To commemorate National Fishermen’s Day (Hari Nelayan Nasional) on April 6, the MDPI team in East Lombok held an informal discussion for information sharing on fisheries developments and regulation updates. This discussion was attended by fishermen’s representatives, the head of Labuhan Lombok Port, Harbor Master (Syahbandar), head of Pengawas Perikanan NTB and industry representatives. As an initial information, most of the participants were not aware that there is National Fishermen Day in Indonesia, so they suggested for us to hold this kind of discussion again in the future to commemorate it.
Several points were discussed:
- The importance of correct data reporting for improving the management of fishery resources and supporting infrastructure and improvements in services, especially data on tuna fisheries, which are under international management through Regional Fisheries Management Organisations (RFMOs)
- Implementation of fisheries regulations: Permen No. 1 tahun 2017 about operation permit letter, Permen KP No. 26 tahun 2014 about Fish Aggregating Device (FAD); UU No. 7 tahun 2016 about fishermen empowerment and protection; Permen Perhubungan No. 8 tahun 2013 about vessel measurement.
- The involvement of MDPI to assist the management of FAD installation permits (SIPR) by distributing registration forms to be submitted to DKP West Nusa Tenggara Province.
- Emphasising the importance of re-measuring vessels to provide the accurate information in compliance with the rules. The aim is for this activity to be completed in December 2017 because there will be fines for vessels with incorrect information.
- The importance of having complete documents, safety equipment and ship capability standard. The Syahbandar emphasized this issue to reduce the risk of sea accidents & IUU (Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated) fishing operations.
- The importance of maintaining fish quality, prioritizing quality over quantity, so that fishermen can get effective results with good price.
All of the participants enjoyed this discussion, especially fishermen; they really appreciate all of the information shared with them. MDPI will be happy to hold more discussions in the future 🙂